emergencies
fb
coastguard-boat

About

Coastguard Lake Taupo (CGLT) is a Volunteer Search and Rescue organisation based at the northern end of Lake Taupo and in the Eastern Region of the Royal New Zealand Coastguard. It has a Maritime Centre at 14 Rauhotu Street. The main lake rescue vessel, CRV Taupo Rescue, is moored at the wharf beside the Harbourmaster's Office at the Waikato River mouth. A second smaller vessel, CRV Mercury Rescue, is stored at Rauhoto Street, ready for rapid deployment in the upper reaches of the Waikato River or on Lake Taupo.

 

In New Zealand Coastguard is not funded by the Government. CGLT has four main income streams:

  • Sponsorship - from major sponsor, Mercury, and sponsors Trev Terry Marine, Ebbett Taupo, Hugh Milloy Harcourts Taupo, and Webdesign
  • Membership Subscriptions
  • Fundraising by volunteers, mainly through the Coastguard New Zealand Summer Lottery.
  • Coastguard New Zealand. 85% of this money comes through the generosity of Kiwi individuals, businesses and trusts. The other 15% comes from a service level agreement for the services we provide to the Police and the Rescue Co-ordination Centre. Major capital projects, such as CRV Taupo Rescue, Maritime Centre and CRV Mercury Rescue, are funded by CGNZ, donations, community trusts and businesses.

 

Membership is made up of Active Volunteers and Boat Users / Supporters.

Active Volunteers help in a number of ways:

  • as Crew - CGLT operates three boat crews, which are rostered on duty one week out of three and are on pager callout 24/7 during their week.
  • as Lake Watchers - Members at strategic places round the Lake assist with searches.
  • by assisting with Boating Education courses.
  • Administration.
  • Fundraising

 

Boat Users and other Supporters join and pay an annual subscription. Benefits of this include:

  • Supporting Coastguard, 'The Charity' Saving Lives at Sea'.
  • Unlimited breakdown assistance on Lake Taupo (Note: free to members only while acting with all reasonable diligence, due care and attention).
  • Unlimited breakdown assistance in New Zealand waters (Note: free to members only while acting with all reasonable diligence, due care and attention).
  • Discounts at various businesses in Taupo.
  • Discounts at Coastguard Boating Education Courses (CBES).